Saturday, June 16, 2012

CPAP May Improve Erectile Dysfuntion

Untreated obstructives sleep apnea (OSA) is known to contribute to erectile dysfunction (ED) in men and decreased libido in both men and women. This article discusses research showing that CPAP can improve erectile dysfunction in men. I have observed this clinically in my younger male patients and they are quite happy about it!

I always thought that OSA could lead to ED by the repeat oxygen level drops, but the study author suggests another cause. All men have erections in dream sleep and OSA disrupts dream sleep the most - this may lead to the ED seen in untreated OSA.

The article talks about how the CPAP mask is not sexy (see my post about CPAP masks), and that is something I joke about sometimes with my younger patients. It is a real concern of my younger patients, especially those that are single. But snoring, which is almost always present with OSA, is definitely NOT sexy. Since the CPAP treats the snoring, this will allow your bedpartner to sleep better and that may improve his or her libido!

No comments:

Post a Comment