Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Weight loss and obstructive sleep apnea

Most people I see already know that obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is related, at least in part, to elevated weight. Many of my patients start coming to my clinic for help after their OSA symptoms have worsened. Almost all of them report weight gain that occurred as the OSA symptoms worsened. Part of my treatment options, at least for mild to moderate OSA is weight reduction. Easier said than done, however. And if my patient has severe OSA, weight loss alone may not be enough to eliminate their OSA.

This study confirms what I said above. It showed that even moderate weight loss, if maintained, can eliminate mild OSA. The key here is maintaining the weight loss. Many of my patients are able to temporarily drop weight, only to regain it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment